Friday, June 25, 2010

The importance of performing

Even in my gloomiest moments, however, I never lost hope. I always maintained my belief that some day I would be a principal dancer.

At the time, I only dimly understood that my woes were due both to my status as a senior corps member and to the fact I had been taken out of many of my corps roles in a show of confidence. In exchange, I expected to get some better roles, as had happened to others before me. But that didn't happen right away, and I remained for what seemed an eternity in this limbo. Cast infrequently, I watched and waited, wanting only to be on stage. Often I danced less than four times a week. If one dances too seldom, regardless of the level, the stage begins to seem like alien territory. After all, there is only so much one can do in a class or a rehearsal room. some of the most valuable learning happens on stage.

Dancing for Balanchine by Merrill Ashley. 1984. Page 115.

No comments:

Post a Comment