Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Kenneth MacMillan's response to criticism

MacMillan was acutely sensitive to what he saw as ill-founded criticism of Playground. He replied promptly to a letter of protest from an offended audience member who had claimed, 'It really is not the theatre's job to distress and frighten people still more about something that in their minds already carries a stigma. . . Listening to audience reaction during the interval, I know that my anger is not unique and I hope that others will also object.' MacMillan replied:

I feel that it has always been the theatre's job to present serious subjects as well as entertaining ones. I feel any form of mental disturbance should not be escaped from, and there has always been a tendency within society to disregard or lock away people whose behaviour is not socially acceptable. I am sorry you feel that subjects that carry a stigma should not be tackled.

Different drummer: the life of Kenneth MacMillan by Jann Parry. 2009. Page 519.

No comments:

Post a Comment