Friday, August 20, 2010

Helgi Tomasson's ballet shoes

I want the sole to conform to my arch when I point my foot, so I order snug and flexible slippers.  Because of this fit, I am almost as sensitive to the floor in my slippers as I am in bare feet.  Quite often the stage is not flawless; even on linoleum the cracks in the wooden floor underneath can be dangerous, especially during a turning combination.  It's an advantage to be able to feel the problem spots so that you can avoid them.  However, I need the protection of slippers for classical ballet variations in which there are multiple turns and jumps.

It's possible to borrow tights, costumes, or make-up, but never ballet slippers.  My slippers must fit and belong to my own feet.  In fact, when I travel I never pack my shoes into the suitcase that will be stored in the baggage compartment; I always carry them on the plane with me for safety.  Wearing another dancer's shoes would be a disaster -- probably more psychologically than physically.

Dancershoes by Daniel and Stephanie Sorine.  1979.  Page 72.

No comments:

Post a Comment