Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pierre Monteux, the first conductor of The Rite of Spring

"In the summer of 1912 Diaghilev came to me one day, as I was working in the theatre, and in a rather secretive manner whispered, 'Stravinsky has written an extraordinary new work that I want you to hear with me this afternoon.'

"I was elated all through luncheon thinking, Stravinsky no doubt has reverted to the lovely melodies of L'Oiseau de Feu or perhaps even farther.  Of course this 'reverting'; did not come until years later, in the Pulcinella Suite, Apollon Musagète and other lovely works.  So you see, chérie, I was little prepared for the music I was to hear that afternoon.

"The room was small and the music was large, the sound of it completely dwarfing the poor piano on which the composer was pounding, completely dwarfing Diaghilev and his poor conductor listening in utter amazement, completely dwarfing Monte Carlo, I might say.  The old upright piano quivered and shook as Stravinsky tried to give us an idea of his new work for ballet.

"I remember vividly his dynamism and his sort of ruthless impetuosity as he attacked the score.  By the time he had reached the second tableau, his face was so completely covered with sweat that I thought, 'He will surely burst, or have a syncope.'  My own head ached badly, and I decided then and there that the symphonies of Beethoven and Brahms were the only music for me, not the music of this crazy Russian!  I admit I did not understand one note of Le Sacre du Printemps.  My one desire was to flee that room and find a quiet corner in which to rest my aching head.  Then my Director turned to me and with a smile said, 'This is a masterpiece, Monteux, which will completely revolutionize music and make you famous, because you are going to conduct it.' And of course, I did.

It's All in the Music by Doris Monteux. 1965. Page 89.

No comments:

Post a Comment