Saturday, January 2, 2010

Bruhn's response to music

Commenting on his very particular response to music, Bruhn says it is a response that must be felt individually. "You've got to hear the music for the first time every time you dance to it. If you hear the same thing every time, then you never feel the need to go back for more. The idea is that if you hear more, then you find more of yourself in the music. For me, music is a constant rediscovery. Once I know a role technically and know the outline of the character, then I always go back to the music, because that's my guide. That's when I know how much I can stretch a certain set of steps within so many bars. Of course, you must begin and finish in time with the music, but within that span you must literally 'walk' on the music. You must breathe it and live it and make it a part of your very being. Without that, all is lost!"


Erik Bruhn, Danseur Noble
by John Gruen. 1979. Page 25-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment